Since 1923, the Twin Cities Womens General Auxiliary has worked to provide a loving and supportive environment for the children and families who get critical medical care at Shriners Hospital. The Twin Cities Shriners Hospital provides state of the art orthopedic care to more than 5,000 children annually for no cost to the families. It is one of 22 Shriners Hospitals in the country. The Womens General Auxiliary has volunteer organizations supporting our mission in six states within the upper-midwestern United States, including Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Both the Shriners Hospital and the Womens General Auxiliary operate from the compassionate generosity of donors. In addition, the Auxiliary is staffed 100% by volunteers and there are no paid positions. Our Womens General Auxiliary is the only auxiliary in the whole Shrine System. No other Shrine hospital has an auxiliary.
Shriners Hospital is dedicated to holistic care including meeting a child’s social, mental, and emotional needs. The Womens General Auxiliary provides that critical sense of wellbeing and consistency in the lives of children and their families who are experiencing unthinkable challenges. They create a community away from home as many children return for follow-up care.
The Womens General Auxiliary improves the lives of children with special medical needs by serving five primary functions:
- Equipment – The Womens General Auxiliary purchases and repairs the wheelchairs and special therapeutic equipment for the children of the Shriners Hospital Twin Cities. Our annual budget is $350,000.00 for Wheelchairs and $100,000.00 for additional equipment and medications.
- Recreation – In 1994 the Womens General Auxiliary built a state-of-the-art playground at a cost of $155,212. This playground is handicapped accessible both for wheelchairs and gurneys. Every year, we provide birthday parties, holiday gifts, holiday celebrations, toys, art supplies, and family entertainment gift cards and telephone cards for the children.
- Parent Accommodation Center (PAC) – In 1991 the Womens General Auxiliary built an on-site hotel at the cost of $1,073,370, with 14 rooms and direct 24-hour skyway access to the hospital.
- Personal Touches – the Womens General Auxiliary has provided handmade comfort blankets, hats and mittens, toys, accessible clothing, and other personal items for every child and their families at Shriners Hospital.
- Service – Our mission remains the same since 1923: Making children happy and secure in a hospital setting through fundraising efforts and the support of contributions.
The Womens General Auxiliary is always looking for new members to help fill a variety of needs. Learn how to join an Auxiliary near you and help a child in need. Please consider making a financial contribution to the Auxiliary. Donations made to the Womens General Auxiliary stay in the Twin Cities hospital system.
The Womens General Auxiliary collects donations of goods which are distributed to children at the Shriners Hospital. These items are used during hospital stays, patient visits, physical therapy sessions or travel between their home and the hospital visits. A complete list of current items is available on the Womens General Auxiliary website.
Please note: The Womens General Auxiliary is only able to accept new items. They are a federally approved nonprofit organization with 501(c)(3) charitable designation, a gift or monetary donation from you is tax deductible.
Womens General Auxiliary Shriners Hospitals for Children-Twin Cities
2025 East River Parkway, Minneapolis, MN 55414
email: email@example.com Phone: (612) 596-6233
WGA publishes a newsletter 9 times per year. Click here to learn more.
Beginning in 2015, Zuhrah Ladies Auxiliary meets at the Chester Bird American Legion Post 523, 200 N Lilac Dr, Golden Valley, MN on the second Tuesday of each month (except in January, June, July and August) at 11:00 a.m. for lunch and a program. The dues are $7.00 per year